Art As A Journey Of Personal Discovery Continued Again

Just as Bruce Springsteen got annoyed with Ronald Reagan for co-opting his song, Born In The U.S.A. for Reagan’s election campaign song, even us nobodies and wannabes can be misunderstood as artists.

Back in those old Newwave days of the Reagan years I had written a song that was about a guy who just can’t stop chasing a girl who causes him nothing but grief. In one verse jealousy is the problem, in another STDs and in another getting caught in the act by the young lady’s father provides the drama. I thought it was pretty funny but when the band got reviewed this song got singled out as being a serious expose on the dangers of premarital sex and venereal disease. This was not the image the band wanted to project, we were called Womanizer after all. Judge for yourself, does this really come off as a serious cautionary tale?

Got Off You

Oh Lord, did you see what just walked through the door?
I thought I’d seen ‘em all but I just heard nature call and I gotta see one more.

Hey Babe, tell me, what are you tryin’ to save?
I can read it in your face so let’s head up to my place and you and I can misbehave.

Chorus:
And don’t be mad if I should brag ‘bout what I got off you.
Cause boys will talk about the way you walk and what I got off you.
So when you’re through remember my turn too, because I got off you.

But I’d take it back, take it back in a minute
Cause your jealousy is hell for me, oh baby, can’t you see?

Doctor Sir, please tell me what I got off her.
She brought me to my knees and gave me love’s disease so please, give me the cure.

Girl friend, next time I won’t rush in.
I’ll look before I leap and I’ll watch where I sleep until I know where they’ve been.

Chorus:
Cause you don’t stop givin’ what you’ve got and what I got off you.
I never thought my love could burn so hot from what I got off you.
Like it or not, it’s what I caught and what I got off you.

And I’d give it back, give it back in a minute
Cause it’s burnin’ me, I guess it’s learnin’ me that this shouldn't be.

Bridge:
It’s just my luck with ladies
Yes and nos and lots of maybes
A car, a lawn, a house and babies
It’s got to where this boy’s afraid he’s
Tirin’ of the fight, and I do alright,
So let’s not get caught tonight.

Chorus:
Baby, it’s ecstasy that I got off you.
And I’ll forget that I regret what I got off you.
Cause we were lovin’ like mad till in walked your Dad and I got off you.

But I’ll come back, come back in a minute
Cause you’re thrillin’ me, but it’s killin’ me, I’m on a losin’ spree.

What ever happened to the girl I once knew?
That woman is trouble, now I’m caught in the rubble of what I got off you.

I got off you.
I got off you
I got off you
I got off you
I got off you

No comments:

Post a Comment