What Makes Rock And Roll Rock?

Disco Queen Donna Summer recently died. I actually have an album she recorded that was given to me by my cousin who was a recording engineer on that record. I wasn’t a fan of Disco Music since I’ve always been too lazy to want to dance but I liked Donna Summer and I’m sorry she died as young as she did.

Elton John said in a statement; "That she has never been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is a total disgrace especially when I see the second-rate talent that has been inducted."

This raises the question; what exactly constitutes Rock and Roll? Why would someone labeled The Queen Of Disco be considered for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? Does Elton believe the term “Rock and Roll” means “Popular Music” and thus should include anyone that ever got Top Forty radio airplay?

Why should Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake be called “Rock Stars” when they simply do not play music that anyone, even their fans, would consider to be Rock and Roll?

I’ve never heard Donna Summer ever referred to as the Queen Of Disco Rock. In fact, even with all the Rock hyphens in existence such as Punk Rock, Prog Rock, Folk Rock, Country Rock, Jazz Rock, Southern Rock, etc., I’ve never heard the term “Disco Rock” or even “Dance Rock”.

I understand Elton wanting Rock and Roll to be all inclusive, like everything else in life (in a perfect world) but these musical terms are not designed to alienate or omit anyone. They’re just a category made to make it easier for the music buying public to find what appeals to their taste. Just being a popular singer or musician does not automatically qualify you for entrance into Rock and Roll heaven. Sorry Elton.

No comments:

Post a Comment