Remembering My School Daze

Thinking back to my high school days (this week is my high school’s 40th reunion) reminds me of a party my band played back then. It was in the home of a girl I can’t remember, sorry, but I do remember the girl we all thought was the cutest in school who was there. She was with her boyfriend sitting on the floor in the living room right in front of the band. I didn’t realize it at the time but although my cousin, the rhythm guitarist, and I thought she was incredibly hot, it was our drummer who held a secret crush and seeing her sitting in front of him with her boyfriend’s (a real loser) arms draped over her was driving him insane.

I was real sick at this party having symptoms of the Flu but decided the show must go on. It was worth it for me since something happened I’ve never forgotten and it still makes me smile to think about it.

Our bass player was a young, fair haired lad who was known to glue on a fake mustache in order to try and buy beer. As we were playing I glanced over to him and saw him staring off into space as if in a trance. This was the early 70s but back then we were still all innocent kids and hadn’t yet experimented with drugs, he was just naturally spacey.

I glanced over at him and noticed a small wad of paper stuck to his face. I didn’t think much of it, I assumed he put it there in an attempt to make people think he cut himself shaving (see mustache, above). A minute or two later I glanced over again and this time I see another small wad of paper stuck to his face. He seems completely oblivious and continued playing. I thought it was odd that I hadn’t noticed the second wad before. It was when I looked over again and saw the third wad of paper stuck to his face that I finally looked down into the audience to see these two young guys with straws blowing spit wads at him.

I couldn’t let one of my band members look like such an idiot and told him to wipe off his face which is when he discovered the wads of paper. I guess he was just ‘in the zone” and didn’t know what was going on. Then again, he was a bit of a Space Cadet normally. That story still makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment