Rock N Roll Garage Bands

Rock N Roll Garage Bands . . . are they a thing of the past?  Do you ever hear rock n roll bands practicing in a garage these days anymore?  I don't . . . but I sure used to.  In fact, I was probably the epitome of living the garage band lifestyle and being in a Rock N Roll Garage Band!

WIKIPEDIA says:  Garage rock is a raw form of rock and roll that was first popular in the United States and Canada from about 1963 to 1967. During the 1960s, it was not recognized as a separate music genre and had no specific name. The term "garage rock" comes from the perception that many such performers were young and amateurish, and often rehearsed in a family garage.

In the late 60's - early 70's, I not only rehearsed in my parents garage but I also lived there, complete with love beads separating a bed room for myself, incense, groupies and band equipment.  We'd rehearse or jam there nearly every day, writing songs and learning the top pop/rock hits of the day so that we could go out and play the high school dances, colleges, churches, clubs, battle of the bands and other private functions.  We'd advertise: HAVING A PARTY - HIRE A BAND!

We lived in a dead end street with about 50 kids in the block and apparently the parents and families of the adjoining houses didn't seem to be bothered by the noise and music we were making.  It was as much about attitude and volume as it was about the music.  A lot of kids would hear us jamming from the adjoining neighborhoods and would come over to participate or hang or try to be in our band.

I'd say I lived in my garage for about 5 years, mainly because my parents told me to pay rent at home if I were not going to go to college.  Well, college didn't teach rock n roll and I didn't want to get a day job so I moved out to the garage to live for free.  I didn't plan it to be that way . . . it just happened.   It was a different time and era and I'm glad I lived it!

No comments:

Post a Comment