Biocentrism

On my kitchen table is an old copy of Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. I don't know how it got there. It came out when I was in high school as one of the first "New Age" books popular with the kids. I never read it. I think I will now. I knew Richard Bach primarily as the writer of the screenplay for The Beatles animated Yellow Submarine movie.

One of my favorite new shows is Beyond The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman (also called Through The Wormhole, I don't know if there are two separate series) which is a science show that explains some of the new concepts of science such as Quantum Physics, String Theory and ideas that were once the domain of Science Fiction writers, New Age writers and crackpots. In one episode exploring the possibility that reality isn't in fact real at all, author and renowned scientist Robert Lanza talked about the concept he calls Biocentrism. Basically, Biocentrism says that if a tree falls in the woods and if there's no one there to hear it the tree not only does not make a sound but that the tree, the woods and the entire universe does not exist. Your brain creates the world around you otherwise it does not exist. I've been reading the same thing in the Seth books since the early Eighties but Lanza's book describes the process in scientific terms. His book Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe is for those of you who want the details. A lot of people involved in science as well as religion are angry at this philosophy and repute it. Read crackpot Robert Lanza's bio HERE.

Reading Biocentrism I kept waiting for him to use my personal favorite analogy to describe his "consciousness forms matter, not the other way around" concept but although he mentioned "a computer simulation" to really get an average Joes like me to understand it all he needed to do was describe reality as a video game. Like all ideas about reality, death, the Hereafter, etc., if you're contented with your religious beliefs then you really don't need to explore all the other possibilities.The nice thing about "reality" and life is that whatever is going to happen is going to happen no matter what you believe and although what you believe will certainly help you get through it all, eventually you will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment