The Night I Met My Wife, The Eve Of New Year

    George Harrison once asked Paul Simon how he could write songs that are based on fictional characters with made up story lines since he had to write only from personal experience. In the early days of the L.A. New Wave scene my band Womanizer was based on the concept that we were an “underground comix” band since the two guitarists were also cartoonists. We only wrote songs that could be easily illustrated and later animated so most of our material was fictional story based.
    One of the first songs I wrote for the evolved version of Womanizer, renamed The Tooners was one of the first songs that was truly personal and based on a true story. This song was about the night I met my wife. I met her in a restaurant where she was having drinks with her old college friends the night before News Year’s Eve. That was close enough for me to title the tune “Eve Of New Year”. The Eve represents not only the night before News Years Day, or the night before the night before New Year’s Day, but also Eve as in a woman’s name, making her the woman of a new year and really, of a new life. I don’t know where all the water metaphors came from, I guess I was just trying to be poetic. Today is the anniversary of that most momentous of occasions.
    The chorus is based on a terrible pick up line my old friend Doug used to use which he thought was the ultimate compliment. Doug’s been married four times so it came to mean something quite different than a compliment. 
EVE OF NEW YEAR
Written By Neal Warner

Eve of new year
Resolutions filled the air it seemed.
Not knowing fear
I dove in and up a salmon stream.

Caught by the view
Of a face to launch a thousand ships.
Eyes of ocean blue
A pair of lips to cause a thousand slips. I knew...

I’d marry a girl who looked like you.
I’d marry a girl who looked like you.
I’d marry a girl who looked like you.

Which line to use?
The lady had no lack of company.
But I need no ruse.
She is here for me, it is our destiny to fuse.

I’d marry a girl who looked like you.
I’d marry a girl who looked like you.
I’d marry a girl who looked like you.

 When a high tension wire snaps, look out!  A lot of musicians suffer brain damage from this, though people assume it's from drugs!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment