Rock And Roll For The Ages

Last night was the official premier of the Rock & Roll Rehab Show at the Hayworth Theater. We played to a capacity crowd, thankfully, but encountered something I just did not see coming.

A few minutes before show time I was informed that there was about a dozen “white haired old ladies” waiting to get in. I went out to the lobby to have a look and sure enough, there were a half dozen couples all looking to be in their seventies and eighties.

There is a ticket agency in Los Angeles where theatrical producers can allocate unsold tickets which then are distributed for free so that the unsold seats don’t go empty. We gave them twenty to cover for those we know who always say they’ll show up and then don’t. These octogenarians were who the agency sent over.

I felt I had to warn them. The Rock & Roll Rehab Show naturally appeals to an “older” audience but by that I mean Baby Boomers, the Sixties Generation who grew up on Rock & Roll, not their parents. I explained to them that this was a rock and roll show and can get loud so they should think about sitting in the front row because sitting in the back won’t make much difference, it’s a small theater, and if they have to leave because of the sound it will be easier from the front row.
    “Should I remove my hearing aid?” asked a sweet, white haired lady.
    “Yes, you won’t need it,” I replied.
    “At least we’ll only be in pain for an hour,” remarked one of the gentlemen.
    “No,” I said, “You’ll go numb after the first song.” Then looking for a silver lining I continued, “It’s not just music, it’s a trip to the past to the Sixties. You all were part of the Sixties!”
    “My son’s sixty,” said the white haired octogenarian.
    I had to laugh.
    “We like music,” said one of the other men in the group.
    “Well, this is loud rock music, not Benny Goodman or Glenn Miller,” I told them trying to sound knowledgeable of the Greatest Generation’s taste.
   
Surprisingly, we only had six of the twenty walk out after the first few songs and the ones who remained said after the show that they really enjoyed it, “it took them back.”

From now on we’ll have a supply of ear plugs to offer our audience. Although, that still won’t guard against the sex and drug references in the show which some might have found more offensive than the volume of the music. We really need to find “our” audience.

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean "We need to find or audience?" Didn't we? I think our future 'is' playing rest homes and senior vacation centers, and from the audience reaction , I see a bright future there. I can't count how many "seniors" I hugged after the show . . . I even got a couple of room numbers slipped into my leather pant pocket as I shook hands and said goodbye after the show.

    The best part was hearing and watching them take 10 minutes to walk up the narrow. steep stairs to get to the theater.

    Can't wait to see who I meet this Saturday! I'm sure for some it was a SHOCK compared to the non-amplified theater shows they may be used to going to.

    HaHa! Rock N Roll Rehab, anybody?
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, pardon me, but shouldn't this post be named "Rock and Roll for the Aged? Any virgins there? I bet the toys in their purses, instead of vibrators and handcuffs were instead mace, teeth and fold up canes. Hummm, now there's a toy idea. Boing!

    ReplyDelete